5 Things You Will Experience
8 years ago today, I moved to LA with nothing but 3 suitcases, my car, a big pair of shades and my dreams of working in Hollywood. Soon afterwards, I would get my first job in entertainment and reality would strike. I mention some of the struggle in my past post here.
In talking to some of my other friends, we realized that there were some commonality in our experiences–and even though some of them would chase a normal person away-we still come back for more. So here is my list of 5 true things you will experience when you first start to work in “the industry”.
1. Your college internships at local television stations mean absolutly nothing in Los Angeles…in fact, your college education means nothing—unless you are in college that means you can legally intern and work in exchange for college credit.
2. Even though you know your job as production assistant sucks—your friends back home are impressed with the fact that you get to work with celebrities. You pretty much have the coolest job out of all of your friends. You also make the least amount of money out of all your friends—and pay the most rent but whatever you also get summer 50 out of the 52 weeks of the year.
3. You will meet your favorite celebrity.
4. You will also find out that your favorite celebrity is a jerk. They crushed your hopes and dreams. You’ll never be able to love with an open heart again.
5. Nobody drinks plain coffee. When you are on coffee runs you realize that quad venti half caf breve no foam with whip two splenda stirred skinny three pump peppermint mocha is a pretty standard order. You will also begin to abandon the simple “Soy latte” order for the more extravagant kind.
Did I miss anything? What are some things you encountered when you got your first industry job?
Featured Image of Hollywood Sign by Florian Klauer